Thursday, August 12, 2010

where was I...

Saying, "Things have been busy around here" is quite an understatement!
Cathy_300_0975-2
Last Christmas I made everyone at the Shop similar project bags for Christmas; they were so popular I was ask to put some up for sale. They've been selling fast enough that sewing has been using up much of my free time.

The hardest part of making these bags is finding zippers in colors that work with my fabrics. I'd never noticed but zipper manufacturers don't change their colors to keep up with the changing fabric pallets. (Most blue zipper colors are stuck in the grayed out 1980's hues, for example.) Wonder why these zipper companies are so out of touch with what fabric is currently on the market?

Cathy_300_0961-2
I've still been knitting but getting items finished, blocked and photographed has really been neglected. My latest FO is a shawl from the pattern Springtime Bandit knit in Canopy Fingering Weight Yarn. Of course, I didn't knit the pattern with the right weight yarn; the pattern is written for a worsted weight.
Cathy_300_0959-2
The pattern was knit as written except I did 16 repeats of the Body Chart. Using two skeins of Canopy I finished with just a few inches of yarn left. (I hate that nervous knitting when you're worried about running out of yarn!?
Cathy_300_0954-2
I used the Macaw colorway; these photos don't do it justice. This yarn in the hank looks very different from the knitted item. This colorway has a prismatic color shift depending from which direction you look at it. I've never seen a yarn do this before. Oh, and I have to mention the yarn is a dream to knit with, never had one split stitch!

Ty
We lost our 13 year old Siamese, Ty, last week. We'd been running Cat Hospice upstairs for him the past six months so it wasn't a surprise. He had a degenerative disease called Cerebellar Abiotrophy and lost most of the use of his hind legs. We sure miss him, he was a very loving Boy.

Ty and wheel

3 comments:

Wendy said...

I'm so sorry about Ty, he was such a beautiful love lumpkin. Even when it isn't a surprise, the void is awful and huge. [[[hug]]]

Sheena said...

So sorry about losing your cat. It's never ok to lose someone you love. I love the shawl, can't wait until I can follow a more complecated pattern.

margaux said...

beautiful! I have a few canopy fingering skeins that may need to become this! :-)