Thursday, August 23, 2007

now where was I...

For my family August has always been a month full of Birthdays and Anniversaries. Our numbers are dwindling but that doesn't mean that we don't celebrate every chance we get. First there was a three generation Birthday Lunch for my Sister and I. Then my Birthday was the 17th. The Photographer took the day off work and took me to Breakfast at The Cottage in La Jolla. Then we strolled over to Knitting in La Jolla where I was picking up more yarn for my Totem sweater.
Totem
I was tempted by a new shipment of Lorna's Laces Shepard Sock; I bought two skeins in the Devon colorway. It was my Birthday, I figured I could splurge.
Shepard Sock Yarn Devon

My Older Daughter has us over for dinner. She has the best back yard, designed especially for summer evening entertaining. Curry marinated chicken skewers with lots of grilled vegetables and to finish homemade ice cream over brownies for desert. We had so much fun sitting and talking that I was surprised when we finally left to see that it was 11:30. For some reason I was hoarse the next morning.

Next day Younger Daughter brought over lunch from Solunto's. She then spent the afternoon baking my favorite cake. A very lushious Lemon Blueberry Cake! (Several years ago she found the recipe here. And it's requested whenever you can get fresh blueberries.) Plus she made a great dinner for us. A second wonderful party.

Sunday, the Photographer and I just took it easy; I knit and read most of the day. I finished The Friday Night Knitting Club. (I enjoyed the book but it wasn't what I expected. Like I'd never heard, "don't judge a book by it's covers" before.)

What did I get? Several Gift Certificates for Restaurants, Borders Book Store, Great News Cooking Store and a Yarn Store. Food, Books and Yarn; what more could I ask for!

I also received the Skein Winder I had been wanting
Skein Winder

The Totem Sweater is my first Elizabeth Zimmerman pattern but I've recently been reading everything I can of hers. So receiving both the DVD and Book of her 1970s Workshop Show was perfectly timed.
Knitting Workshop DVDKnitting Workshop Book

The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz was a book I've wanted ever since I heard about it on a food blog. I have the weight gain to prove we all have gotten way too good at ice cream making.
Perfect Scoop

And lastly, a way to work off the weight if I go out and use it, a gardening work seat that reverses to a kneeler
Garden SeatGarden Kneeler

I am very grateful for all I received this year and I'm thankful I'm surrounded by so many that care about me. I don't take my blessing for granted.
flower

1 comment:

Joan said...

I also love anything by EZ, the woman was a genius and rip-roaringly funny too. ;-}
Great colors in your sweater!