Thursday, July 19, 2007

Is this a gender spatial thing?

Warning: this post has nothing to do with knitting or spinning and there are no pictures - feel free to skip it.

I've recently encountered an odd gender difference and I'm wondering if anyone out there has a good explanation.

Three months ago my social conscience finally got around to buying eight (8) canvas bags to do my part in trees being cut down, water used, landfill, yada, yada, yada. All eight bags are exactly the same. Here's a link to the bags I bought from Lee Valley.
Seven of the bags are folded in quarters and put inside the eighth bag which I use to store and carry them into the store..

Here is how the gender difference comes into play: When I buy a large number of items I will just hand the bag of bags to the person that will be bagging whether it's the cashier or a clerk. If a woman is bagging my purchased items they reach into the bag pull out a folded bag and proceed to fill it. Handing me back the unneeded bags inside the original eighth bag. EVERY WOMAN has done it this way.

While EVERY MALE, except one, dumps all the bags out and uses the eighth bag to start bagging what I've bought. (This has nothing to do with education levels as I saw a male, that I know has an MBA, do the dump and bag on two occasions.)

I find the dump and bag method mildly annoying; if there are any unfilled bags left they hand the bags back to me loose and unfolded rather than still folded neatly inside the eighth bag.

Is this being too picky and/or severely anal on my part?

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Hahahaahaa. I don't think you're being anal. But something to keep in mind (as I have to remind myself of it constantly), Men in general are not into details. They tend to look at only the big picture - you needed stuff bagged. They don't notice that you had presented them with folded items. Good vent Lady!